Page 47 - Fall_2021
P. 47

A patient in one of the screened porches
             when the complex was still part of the hospital.
             Courtesy of Cunningham | Quill Architects























        A former screened porch, now converted into
        a common area for residents.
                                                                    One of the big winners in this year’s AIA|DC awards
                                                                    programs was the Residences at St. Elizabeths East
                                                                    Campus, by Cunningham | Quill Architects, which
                                                                    received a Chapter Design Award in Historic Resources &
                                                                    Preservation, a Citation for Equitable Communities, and a
                                                                    Washingtonian Residential Design Award.
                                                                       The project entailed the adaptive reuse of the former
                                                                    Continuous Treatment (CT) complex at St. Elizabeths
                                                                    Hospital, which opened in 1855 as the first federally
                                                                    operated psychiatric facility in the United States. After
                                                                    reaching a peak of more than 8,000 patients in the 1950s, the
                                                                    hospital’s population declined precipitously due to a series
                                                                    of deinstitutionalization initiatives. In 1987, ownership of
                                                                    the East Campus, which by then contained all remaining
                                                                    hospital facilities, was transferred to the DC government (in
                                                                    2004, the West Campus was transferred to the U.S. General
                                                                    Services Administration, and now houses the headquarters
                                                                    of the Department of Homeland Security and the U.S.
                                                                    Coast Guard). The DC government subsequently built a
                                                                    new, consolidated psychiatric hospital, and opened up the
                                                                    rest of the historic East Campus, including a number of
                                                                    landmarked buildings such as the CT complex, for mixed-
                                                                    use redevelopment.
                                                                       Built between 1933 and 1943, the CT complex consisted
                                                                    of six H-shaped dormitory buildings, each holding 164
                                           All photos © Allen Russ/  beds, surrounding a cruciform building that included a
                                         Studio HDP, except as noted
                                                                    central kitchen, cafeteria, and other common spaces. The

                                                                                  LIVING TOGETHER                 45
   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52